Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Don't Let Unforgiveness Ruin Your Holiday Spirit

As the holidays are approaching, you do not want to be in turmoil due to unforgiveness of a family member or friend. Let your Thanksgiving and Christmas be full of JOY and HAPPINESS. Don't have a cloud over your home or spirit because you're holding on to grudges or past hurts. 

Unforgiveness has been a leading cause of illness and death, more than attacks from a gun or knife. Unforgiveness can cause illness in your body without warning or an explanation.  In the medical world, tumors are said to be a cause of stress and worry and in the spiritual realm, we call it unforgiveness.
When you don't forgive you develop a stressful life and you create a lifestyle of worries about someone or something that offended you and it occupies your time and mind 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You can’t pray and you can’t get into good praise and worship because you are thinking about how someone offended you and it overtakes you in thought and deed. This is not a healthy lifestyle for anyone, especially Christians and God does not honor it.  His Word says to forgive “70 x 70” and then He asks the question: “If you don’t forgive your brethren, how can your Father which is in heaven forgive you?” Still people don’t get it, complete healing comes with forgiveness.

I once heard a pastor say he would die before he forgave this certain person.  Unfortunately,  he died and never forgave that person who deeply offended him.  What did he gain?  The other person is still living and having a good life.  See how the enemy cheated this pastor. If the Word of God says He will “throw your sins in the sea of forgetfulness,” don’t you think He can throw your pain from offense as well and you can then walk in forgiveness and be whole?

Many years ago I was deeply hurt by a friend.  I couldn’t eat, I cried day and night, I couldn’t go to work, I could not pray, read my bible or even focus.  I lost so much weight that my clothes were hanging on me. I couldn’t stop thinking about how my friend had hurt me and how much I hated my friend for it.  I was in deep pain and turmoil until the day I passed out and ended up in the hospital with a bleeding ulcer.  

My unforgiveness brought on a new set of health problems.  While in the hospital, I recall this still, quiet voice saying: “Give it to me.”  I didn’t know how, but I knew the pain of the ulcer now was greater than the pain of the hurt and I had to let it go.  The moment I whispered “OK,” was the moment all the pain left my body and for the first time in months, I was able to laugh and not cry.  I no longer became preoccupied with the hurt but occupied with praying for that person and loving them.  

The true test of forgiveness is when you come face-to-face with the person who offended and you can embrace that person and not feel any pain from the past. I recall that day vividly in J.L. Hudson as I got off the elevator and saw my friend talking with a salesperson. Our eyes met and we both froze, and simultaneously, we stretched out our arms and embraced each other.  Here we are in the aisle of the store with tears flowing down our faces. My tears were tears of joy, for I felt no pain of the past and was actually glad to see my friend.  For a quick moment I tried to analyze my friend’s tears: Were they tears from guilt or was my friend actually glad to see me?  But then, I let it go.  

I learned that day that God does protect you and honor your faithfulness to His Word.

I leave you with this:  TO LIVE YOU MUST FORGIVE!

No comments:

Post a Comment